2016 In Review

10:55:00 am


It's 9 days to 2017 and looking back at 2016, I'm overwhelmed with gratitude. Christmas is here already and truthfully, it's just like every other day. The major thing about the season is welcoming Jesus Christ into our hearts and preparing ourselves for His second coming. It's also the season for giving and showing love.

2016 didn't exactly start on a high note for me. I was still job hunting as at January. I turned 25 that same month but I wasn't in the celebration mood as I was solely focused on one thing, getting a job. The much awaited job came in February and 2 months into it, I knew I couldn't go on. I worked Mondays-Saturdays, 8am-6pm and you really don't want to know how much I was being paid. I quit in the third month and a month later, I got another job. This was a much better job in every aspect except the distance from home to work was killing and I spent almost all my salary on transportation.

I fell ill a couple of times due to the stress. Lost a lot of weight too(you think I'm slim now, you should have seen me 3-4 months ago) My parents were really concerned about my well being especially my mum. I was looking sickly and pale but I forged on because I didn't want to stay at home or like we usually say, 'I'm doing it for the experience.'

Then I realized something, it wasn't worth it one bit. Why was I settling for less? I knew I could do better than this. So after much deliberation and soul searching, coupled with some other family related issues, I quit my job again and I felt like I was back to square one. At this point, I decided to work more on myself and set my priorities straight. What really did I want?

To me, 2016 was my year of self discovery, 'The Discovery of Self'. I thought having a 9-5 job was the life! But when it doesn't work out for you, what happens? I searched myself and chose to acquire a skill, something that would empower me for the rest of my life despite my employment status and I settled for tailoring. I also figured I could do a bit of freelancing as a writer and I gave that a try as well and got a gig with the Ndani Lifestyle crew for the GTBank Fashion Weekend. I always thought doing business wasn't for me but my mindset changed a great deal this year. 

Now, would I ever go back to a 9-5 job? Yes I would, on the condition that my health isn't compromised, the pay is worth it and I'd be doing something I love. If not, I don't think I'd be able to settle for less again. Once bitten, forever shy.

Another thing I learned this year is that happiness is a very personal thing. Your happiness shouldn't depend on others no matter who they are, be it a husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, fiance(e), even family. God is the source of all happiness and when we walk in His light, although we may encounter challenges, God never disappoints like humans. I had my fair share of heartbreaking moments this year. Heartbreaks are draining...like they literally suck the life out of you but they make you stronger.



Again, guard your peace of mind. Cut off what/whoever threatens your peace of mind. If something no longer serves you, let it go. This was what prompted me to delete my BBM(Blackberry Messenger) Also, be mindful of the bridges you burn. Believe it or not, God will not come down to help you, instead He uses those around you to do His work. So be mindful of the relationships you choose to end. Ephesians 4:26 says, 'If you become angry, do not let your anger lead you into sin and do not stay angry all day.'(GNB) Do not let anger influence your final decisions.


Finally, there's no perfect timing for anything. NOW, is the time to do what you have to do. If you have a project you've been thinking about for a while but you feel you don't have everything to kick it off, just start with the little you have. That's what I did as regards the style segment on here. I wanted to wait till I got a digital camera to start taking pictures but I thought to give my phone camera a try and voila! It's been 5 style posts and still counting. I know the camera would eventually come but before it does, I'll make use of what I have.

Despite the lows, I'm still grateful to God for the lessons learned and most especially for life. For the fact that I fell ill a lot more than I usually do this year but I recovered, is enough for me to be happy. I'm also super grateful to the few friends who never left, who kept caring and encouraging...You guys dunno what you did for me ohh! Your words were like rays of sunshine on the most cloudy days and I'm too grateful. I don't have so much going on at the moment but I definitely have a lot to look forward to in January. It's going to be packed!

To you, my awesome readers, THANK YOU! Despite my battle with inconsistency this year, you stuck around. I appreciate each and every one of you. I promise to do better next year so stay with me. That's it guys! I did a Christmas themed shoot and that would be coming up next.

Be right back,
Evita, xx.





You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Your year was quite eventful. I can only pray that 2017 is a better year for us all. And more post next year. Compliments of the Season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miguel. It was indeed eventful and I thank God for the highs and lows. 2017 would definitely be better. Thanks a lot. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful article and well written. I love long articles that will keep me glued for long.

    Good you discovered your self and entered into tailoring. That's a mistake most graduates make today, hoping to get an 8-5 pm job when you can equally learn a skill and be self independent. Then if the job comes later, you could be the one to choose if to accept the job or continue in your handwork.

    I don't even know why they call it skill when it provides food for someone on his/her table and sometimes even more revenue than those with an 8-5 pm job.

    Self discovery remains the highest and most profitable education anyone could achieve.


    www.Brendascouch.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Brenda. I wish most youths would realize that no matter the level of education they attain, it's always advisable to learn a handwork. I think when reality hits you hard, you begin to discover who you truly are. I really appreciate your comment. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this and I learned a few important lessons as well.
    This is very inspiring.
    I pray 2017 is better and may God bless you so many more testimonies, IJN. Amen
    My Style Look Book Series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Praise! Thank you so very much. I'm glad you were inspired by this and a big AMEN to your prayers. 2017 would be better for us all.

      Delete

Popular Posts